MORE TIME FOR CONSULTATIONS NEEDED
After a four-hour reviewing of the latest Matthew Nimetz's proposal, the Macedonian top officials and party leaders decided to convene for a new meeting on Sunday.
Macedonian Foreign Minister Antonio Milososki announced this Thursday night, adding that the participants asked for more time for additional consultations.
Previously, President Branko Crvenkovski said that the latest proposal was the worst ever that Nimetz came forward with.
PM Nikola Gruevski said that Macedonia's wish to join NATO is very strong, but that the name cannot be sacrificed to achieve that goal.
Ahead of today's meeting, the leader of the opposition SDSM, Radmila Sekerinska, accused PM Gruevski of being hypocritical. According to her, he publicly rejected any change of the country's name, but on the other hand, he expressed readiness to accept solutions like Democratic Republic of Macedonia or Independent Republic of Macedonia.
The state leadership shares the position that this decision can only be made at a referendum, which would be set up in case Greece accepts any of these solutions.
In the meantime, the Greek daily Naftemporiki cited in its electronic edition the Greek foreign ministry spokesman George Koumoutsakos as saying that Greece had already prepared the response on the Nimetz's latest proposal.
According to Koumoutsakos, the Greek negotiator Adamantios Vassilakis was tasked to get in touch with Nimetz to inform him that after scrutinizing the proposal, the Greek government made a decision as to which elements are unacceptable for them, which ones are negotiable and what changes should be introduced.
Naftemporiki did not specify the proposals that are acceptable for Greece.
MD: And the battle continues...